I created this graphic novel page for ‘Make Art That Sells’ June Bootcamp Assignment.
As Lockdown restrictions are easing wedding planning can recommence for the couple’s big day. This opening image sets the context for the story.
I painted all of the elements in the story in Kuretaki watercolour paints and brought them together digitally for the A4 piece.
The MATS bootcamp brief gave photo portraits and a selection of items to spark a story. I’ve used these characters and woven the items together in a simple narrative with destination wedding and travel themes.
Here’s the final piece, intended as an A4 page. Zoom in to follow the narrative and see the detail of each of the artworks…
The rose farm poster is a small detail in the finished graphic novel but the A4 painting was one of my favourite pieces from the project, and the painted roses were then used throughout the final page.
These close up profile portraits were challenging but enjoyable to paint. I wanted to capture the joy of the wedding, and the relief and positivity after the uncertainty of lockdown.
MATS course leader Lilla Rogers gave an image of Issa Rae. I looked online for a joyful looking male to be her groom and chose an image which I later determined to be Jay Ellis. When I researched Jay Ellis I couldn’t believe it when I read that he co-stars with Issa Rae in a popular HBO TV programme ‘Insecure’. How bizarre a coincidence is that choosing them, when they are cast together romantically on TV!
This is my padlock inspired by the work of Alphonse Mucha, and also Hector Guimard’s Paris Metro designs. Playing with the idea of lockdown, and being locked together in love.
Catalina Island was prompted by a postcard in the initial brief. I enjoyed exploring the island virtually thanks to YouTube videos, and painted this scene for the location of the wedding.
I then developed the work into an animated video. Follow this link to see an animation of my graphic novel, which is over on my YouTube channel. Watch it here.
Thanks for being here. I’m developing my portfolio but presently have some availability for commercial and editorial illustration, and promotional work.
See my recent posts at these links.
- Decisions and Time Saving TipsDecisions and time saving hacks for illustrators and artists.
- Extreme Skiing Book IllustrationsI’m celebrating my work being published in a brand new book by an Extreme Skier in the United States. I was commissioned to create 24 bespoke illustrations for the book. It is wonderful to see my work in print. Illustrations by Kim for new book 30 Years in A White Haze by Dan Egan and Eric Wilbur #30yearsinawhitehaze
- Avalanche, Zest and ZenAvalanche, Zest and Zest illustrations for the Ski A-Z book
- Citrus Sport Illustrations – Journal Design Concept‘Joynal’ – a lovely book in which to note and track fun times, and joyful days.
- Ski A-Z Cover DesignSki A-Z Book Cover
Bye for now.