I was excited to get stuck into the challenge of creating a lamp from found items.
The challenge was part of a larger workstream of upcycling, which followed the Marble Run creation that was Art Challenge 40.
A number of items that were merely dust collecting in our home or languishing on top of the cupboard came to mind as items that needed a new purpose and new life.
In our home we have some cherished items of furniture that we have inherited or chosen instead of buying new items, as we struggle to see the rationale in buying something that is newly made when there are older, better quality items in existence, that have a story and deserve to be cherished and lived with.
I collected the items which were a children’s globe, a wooden interlocking kangaroo puzzle and a counterbalance wine bottle holder that we never trusted enough to use. I drew the components for the lamp as a way of understanding their form better and drew sketches of different options of how the components may be put together.
I had a limited amount of time in which to create the working lamp so I began building the lamp, firstly with the upright made from the wooden puzzle which I gave a structure to using wire ring binding. I used the ring binding wire to secure and hold the flex.
I then fitted the upright into the bottle holder base, put a groove for the flex in the top of the puzzle and underneath the base wood. Once I added the brass fixing for the lamp housing I could then start to secure the globe.
I drilled holes on the globe in the places I have visited to give an extra point of interest and to vary the intensity of the light given.
It was tricky to support and affix the globe in a way that enabled the bulb to be changeable. I gave consideration to a number of possible support means, including wire, an additional strut or a plaster hand to support it. I also thought of Velcro as this would grip the globe and still be separable. I’m pleased to say that the Velcro worked and held fine.
The theme of the piece is about travel enlightening, and the wonders our world holds, so I added bends of wire like a crazy network of journeys. Finally I added three small paper aeroplanes made from an old map.
To reference to flight I added feathers left in our garden when birds had been prey to a local fox or cat. The feathers worked well to soften the design and give a more feminine touch, they could be suggestive of angels above our world.
Delighted with the final outcome it was very much as I planned and is as attractive and effective as I hoped.
I learned that I ought to have tried things together without fixing them first and have given more consideration to fixings before I began but I enjoyed the challenge and now look forward to feeling pride when I use the light.
Thank you! Thanks for reading this post I hope this has sparked a little inspiration, if so I would love to hear about that in the comments below. If you would like to see more please have a look at my other challenges and to be notified when my next challenge is completed you can ‘Follow” my blog.
These are posts which relate to this challenge: