Sadly we won’t be going to Egyot this winter. Which means I won’t be swimming with the myriad of underwater life in the Red Sea.
So I dove in and created this piece about how it feels to explorebeneath the surface. The artwork features my favourite fishy friends.
I created this piece using the Pixelmator app and added in layers using the photographs of the watercolour fish that were created in the previous art challenges. Those were painted with seawater. I have painted additional detail on them in Pixelmator to show the iridescence of the underwater light.
The objective of this team challenge was to create an innovative, interesting journey for a marble. Using physics principles, construction skills, creativity and perseverance we created the Overground Underground multi-sensory marble journey.
The chosen theme of Overground Underground took shape using an art easel to achieve height for the top section. The descent was created using a precise network of tubes, a ladder, chutes, tunnels, bends, a spiral, helter skelter, see -saw and an impressive freefall through a soft drink can that was suspended by string.
The painting of brickwork, riveted panels, warning markings, the dark dank underworld and advertisements created the environment for the marble run.
The exercise objective was to get creative, to work as a team and was part of a wider theme of up-cycling.
I created a sound track in iMovie with music, an aircraft fly by and water splash sound effects. We were the only group who used sound.
Once the run was completed I did an observational drawing of the run firstly using a pencil at the end of cane. Which I found great as I was too far away to run out and so was able to achieve more and work faster. Then I drew from memory in a more cartoon style. Interesting experiences and all learning and development.
I’m pleased with the outcome by our team, by my structural, creative, decorative and graphic artwork contributions. It was an interesting brain intensive challenge, quite unlike my previous art tasks.
Thanks for viewing this, here are other posts that may be of interest.
I entered the impressively titled Global Talent Search. My first art competition brief was to design a trainer.
There was a detailed brief explaining about the female character and her life in Brooklyn. The character Antoinette had just got a new bike and needed a pair of trainers.
The competition coincided with our sun holiday so I didn’t have studio time to spend. I created a design on my iPad using my present favourite art app Pixelmator. The entry would first be seen thumbnail sized so I used my favourite colours to make it eye catching.
The competition organisers ran a course in June in Brighton that I had hoped to attend but when I was ready to book it had sold out. 80% of the 50 finalists had attended the course. I’m not amongst the finalists but it was an interesting experience and I learned a lot. It’s great to see the entries and see how people have used the brief.
I found this more challenging than working to my commission briefs as I didn’t know the person as well as those I have created my commissions for. I therefore ensured there was enough of my joy in the creation so that I created something I was happy with. I’ve lived in the trainers most of this year whilst rehabbing my knee so would love a pair like this one.
Here are my commission stories that relate to this article.