I was asked for a small phone charger bag featuring my beach huts paper cut design.
See how the pictures were created at this previous Art Challenge blog post https://52artchallenges.wordpress.com/2014/11/13/art-challenge-13-paper-cut-pictures/
I looked around to see which companies were offering photo printed soap bags and chose a company that I could see and feel the quality.
I decided to get a number of the bags printed to gift and sell.
I created two different models of bag, both featuring the beach huts picture on one side and then on the other either the allotments sheds picture of the ski chalet. The different bags will appeal to different people.
I was disappointed that there was a delay with the order which took the shine and excitement away. When I collected the bags I felt that they needed a little more detail to finish them off. I decided that adding a zip pull would give the product more finesse and better overall effect.
I tried a few different ways of creating the zip pull and had a bit of a shock that my eyes aren’t as good for sewing as they used to be. Oh those cross stitches I used to create with just my naked eyes. This time, even with glasses on, I was struggling too see clearly enough.
I searched through my sewing box and found some ribbon I bought a few years ago and had never used. One worked well with the chalet picture, one less so but that worked well with the allotments and beach huts pictures.
I experimented with how to stop the ribbon from fraying, sewing, burning with candle and then with hair straighteners. I settled on burning with matches as the most effective option, but too long and the ribbon would turn black.
At first I sewed the zip pulls on all sides, then tried just sewing a line across, then finally found that I could do it more neatly by just doing stitches at the end of the zip and then secondly through the furthest whole of the zip. This final option was also quickest, although each bag took longer than I expected, as I was eyesight challenged.
So having completed the sewing I felt that the bags needed some kind of label or branding to finalise the designs and overall first impression.
My husband bought me some scissors with different shaped cutting blades, I added a vertical wraparound strip then tried watercolour painting small labels to add a final presentation detail.
Of you like the pictures you can watch the animations of the pictures at https://52artchallenges.wordpress.com/2014/11/23/art-challenge-15-animating-paper-pictures/